Business For Peace Awards, Oslow
Dr Mengi receiving an award of Business for Peace, from the Nobel peace prize nominating committee
- Certificate of Appreciation from Rombo Development Trust Fund – 2003
- Certificate of Appreciation from Arusha Women Development Initiative Support – 2004
- Certificate of Appreciation from the Registered Trustees of the Community Development Services (RTCDS) – 2004
- Msama Promotions – Trophy in recognition of caring for and valuing people with disability – 2006
- Certificate of Appreciation from BAKWATA – for support and Dedication to Society – 2006
- Trophy of appreciation from Command and Staff College – Arusha 2006
- Msama Promotions – Trophy for High Respect Award – 2007
- Certificate from Tanzania Institute of Media Education (TIME) for Creativity
- Token from Africa Development Bank for support and Dedication to Society.
- Doctor of Humanity Degree awarded by Japan Bible Institute on the 10th March,2012.
- Uhuru Torch Ceremony Support 1996
- Certificate of Appreciation for contribution to the International Association of Lions Club 1996 – 97
- Tanzania Muslim Hajj Trust – Certificate of Appreciation for Service and Cooperation 1998
- Certificate of Appreciation – Founder Benefactor of the University of Dodoma – 2005
- Certificate for supporting National Sports Day for the Disabled – 2000
- Joint Certificate of Appreciation from the then National Chief Commander of CCM Youth Mzee Rashid Kawawa and the then Commander of CCM Youth Coast Region Hon. Jakaya Mrisho Kikwete for supporting Mwalimu Nyerere Memorial Walk – 2001
Over the course of his career Dr. Mengi has held many public service positions including:
1. Director, Board of the Commonwealth Business Council (CBC); this is an organization which was established under the Commonwealth of Nations Charter. Its headquarters are located in London. Dr. Mengi was elected to its Board of Directors in 1998 and has held this position since then.
2. Chairman of the Media Owners Association of Tanzania (MOAT): This is an organization which represents media owners in Tanzania. Dr. Mengi was elected as Chairman in 2003 and has held this position ever since.
3. Chairman, People with Disabilities Trust Fund
This is an NGO which mobilizes funds for people with disabilities and Dr. Mengi has been its Chairman since 1992.
4. Member, Tanzania National Business Council (TNBC)
In May 2007 Dr. Mengi was appointed to be a member of the TNBC and has held this position since then.
5. Chairperson, Economic Empowerment Working Group of the Tanzania National Business Council (TNBC):
The TNBC is a public/private sector initiative established to serve as a forum for public-private sector dialogue on strategic direction for promoting investments, and accelerating economic growth and poverty eradication. The Working Groups are actually think tanks made up of experts who advise on various issues. In May 2007 Dr. Mengi was appointed by the TNBC Chairman, the President of the United Republic of Tanzania, to chair one of these working groups which was entrusted with formulating practical strategies for empowering Tanzanian businesses especially SME’s. Dr. Mengi has been its chairman since.
6. Member, International Investors Round Table, Tanzania
This organization was established by the President of the United Republic of Tanzania with the stated purpose of promoting international investment and Dr. Mengi was invited to become a member. The Roundtable Committee presents its recommendations to the Government of Tanzania and these have greatly influenced Tanzania’s foreign investment policy.
7. Chairman of the Confederation of Tanzania Industries (CTI): This is an umbrella organization representing the private sector industries in Tanzania and Dr. Mengi was its Chairman between 2005 and 2009.
8. Commissioner, Tanzania HIV/AIDS Commission (TACAIDS) : This is a statutory Commission established in 2001 to create and implement a cohesive response to HIV and AIDS. Its Commissioners are appointed by the Prime Minister of the United Republic of Tanzania and Dr. Mengi was a Commissioner from 2002 to 2009.
9. Chairman of the East African Business Council (EABC)
This is an organization within the East African Community which is an economic and administrative union of Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Rwanda and Burundi (the Partner States). The EABC was established with the primary objective of setting a common regional business agenda and advising the Partner States on matters which affect business and economic development in the region. The organization draws members from businesses in the Partner States. Dr. Mengi was elected its Chairman for the year 2008. The organisation’s headquarters are situated in Arusha Town in Northern Tanzania.
10. Chairman, ICC Tanzania (a National Committee of the International Chamber of Commerce) Dr. Mengi was chairman of this organization from 2000 to 2007.
11. Chairman, the National Environment Management Council of Tanzania (NEMC)
The NEMC is an independent body established by law to regulate environmental matters. Dr. Mengi was appointed by the President of the United Republic of Tanzania to chair this body for three consecutive terms of three years each from 1997 to 2006.
12. Board Director, Leadership for Environment and Development (LEAD)International
LEAD International is an initiative established by the Rockefeller Foundation in 1991 for the purpose of training selected mid-career professionals in issues related to environment and development. Dr. Mengi was unanimously elected as a director in May 2000 and remained a director until he resigned in 2003.
13 Chairman of the National Board of Accountants and Auditors (NBAA): The NBAA is the statutory organization for all accountants and auditors in Tanzania. Dr. Mengi was appointed by the President of the United Republic of Tanzania in 1984 to be its Chairman and reappointed so that he eventually held this post for four consecutive terms of four years each up to 2000.
14. Chairman, Commonwealth Press Union (CPU) Tanzania Chapter : Dr. Mengi was chairman of this organization from 1997 to 1999.
15. Chairperson Board of Directors, Tanzania Standard (Newspapers) Limited: This company owns and publishes the Government newspaper Daily News and Habari Leo. Dr. Mengi was appointed Chairman of its Board of Directors before resigning.
16. Commissioner, Salaries Review Commission:
This Commission was formed in the 1980’s by the Late first President of Tanzania Julius Nyerere to advise the Government on salaries.